Friday, July 25, 2014

On soccer

The popularity if soccer, I think is related to the low cost of  entry to a player; you need to pay only for the ball, the goalpost, and the clothing. When I was a boy growing up in India even shoes were not necessary. Most in India (including the professionals until recently) played soccer bare foot. In fact the reason given for India declining an invitation to attend FIFA world cup (it used to be then called the Jules Rimet cup, not world cup), in 1950, was FIFA's insistence that the players play with their shoes on.

In school I played soccer barefoot until I broke my left big toe. Haven't played it since.  And then my enthusiasm waned and I started playing cricket one of the most expensive games ever invented by humans.

The part of India that my ancestors came from, Goa, was an overseas province of Portugal and not a colony. There, even today, soccer is more popular than cricket. During the world cup every one is glued to the TV, and even today most root for Portuguese soccer team, and if they don't do well, for the Brazilian team. Eben now Goa (as representing India) participates in the Lusophone games.

No comments:

Post a Comment