Saturday, April 27, 2013

On university teaching.


In most professions, practitioners welcome "stress" of certain kinds on the job, and value the independence
that the job provides.

I, for example, left industry for the academia for the following reasons

1. 
I am the boss, no one tells me when to do my work and what to work on (except for the teaching).  I work on what ever is my passion. Not many professions can claim that (the only exceptions in industry that I can think of is working at Bell Labs, old Xerox-PARC, Bill Labs, IBM-Watson Labs,...)

2. 
Except for teaching/office hours, I can work from anywhere I want. Nowadays I don't even have to go to the library, it comes home to me

3.
I do not have a boss in the traditional sense (most faculty are self-reporting), hence the expression that
getting faculty together is like herding cats 

4. 
June, July, and August (also good part of december and january)

The above make for ideal life. Almost all the stress I have is self-imposed; the stress of the best kind; the challenging research problems we tackle.

As to software developers. Having taught software  development for many years, I know that most in this field
love stress of having to make things work when they don't. They don't look at debugging as a chore to be endured, but challenge to be met, just as you want to climb the  Everest because it is there. I have had some of my best students turn down promotions because accepting would put them
in desk jobs where they do not have such challenges.

In a sense, we teachers are all software developers, our msoftware is the mind of our students. Unfortunately, I find that many of us do not like debugging.

No comments:

Post a Comment